Monday, April 10, 2006

Lahaim!

Tonight, I attended a Jewish seder. Because I'm an RA, they have the programs that they encourage us to go to because if we don't no one else will show up.

Not being Jewish, this was a shpogel nei** experience for me. I'm guessing the man who was talking was a Rabbi. (I came in late, so I'm not sure) Tyisha and I sat there as he was beginning (we weren't that late) the explanation. Apparently, they start off the dinner with 4 glasses of wine. That's a lot of wine. We didn't have wine. We had sparkling grape juice. It was ta'am**. Then they proceed to eat parsley dipped in salt water, matzah bread, horseradish, honey-apple-nut stuff, an egg dipped in salt water. They sprinkle "wine" on their plate and then drink some more of it. There is a lot of talking that everyone does, but I can't remember it. The only thing that was crossing my mind was how much wine goes into a person during one of these seders. By the end of an original seder, I can't imagine how someone could still be sober. I was thinking how it would be i to watch one because at the end everyone yells enthusiatically "Lo Dayyenu!" about 12 times and they have at least 4 glasses of wine in them. I was imagining the bar scene in Fiddler on the Roof where everyone is drunk and singing. I think it would just be interesting to watch.

Anyway, after the festivities we had a feast. The food was tsegait zich in moyl**. All the food was kosher so no one was a traifnyak**. We had chicken, broccoli, a hashbrown-egg thing, what I think was matzah ball soup, roastbeef, fruit, dark chocolate, and chocolate mousse. I ate until I was kasokeh**. It was a good time. I learned something new about a different culture, which is always good to learn, and I had a good time about it. Azoy vert dos kichel tzekrochen.**




**
shpogel nei - brand new
ta'am - taste, flavor; good taste
tsegait zich in moyl - it melts in the mouth, delicious, yummy-yummy
traifnyak - despicable person; on who eats non-kosher food
kasokeh - cross-eyed
azoy vert dos kichel tzekrochen - and that's how the cookie crumbles

2 comments:

Becca said...

the mamas......THE MAMAS!

LaceyP said...

tradition!