Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Operators Are Standing By

Well, I'm annoyed...


Apparently, I am much more active than I give myself credit for.  Either that, or I just can't seem to sit still.  Or, both.


Probably, both.


You see, I was/am training for another half-marathon.  I needed a new pair of shoes desperately and had heard about the Five Finger monkey shoes that are now on the market.  They are awesome, but I was warned that I needed to break them in slowly because our feet aren't used to using some of the muscles because of the shoes we wear this day and age.


I have had them a little over a month now and have really liked wearing them.  I was breaking them in slowly.  Wearing them at night when I got home from work for a week.  Then I wore them to Zumba to see how they worked there.  They were fine.  My feet were a little sore, but it was just muscle soreness.  I kept wearing them at night so my feet would continue to get used to them and I enjoyed wearing them because they are SO comfortable.  My boyfriend, Wayne, and I went on a Zip Line tour and we had to hike a little through the woods and climb and jump and stuff.  I was fine.


I continued to wear them for another week after that and then decided I should take a short run in them.  It was weird, but it still felt good to run in them.  The treadmill never saw such a thing as me running in my monkey shoes.  I have to admit, I feel a little like Tarzan every time I wear them.  I have this urge to find a vine and swing from it, yodeling all the while.

I'm off subject...



So, the day after I went for a run, I went for another run.  (See how this works?) I felt really good from the day before and thought I would push it a little harder that day.  


I only ran a mile, but it was a mile too far.


Towards the end of my run, my foot wasn't feeling great, but I thought I could just push through it.  I only had about a minute left.


Bad idea.  I had hurt something.  Concerned that I had broken something, I did nothing and went to go lift some weights, on machines, sitting down.  Quit worrying. 


A personal trainer friend of mine told me that she thought that I had hyper-extended it.  Great.  Now I have to look up on WebMD what that means.  Unfortunately, I did this today...a week and a half after the incident in the Cardio Cinema with the treadmill.


Thinking that it had healed up after last week, I stood on concrete for hours on end on Friday and Saturday.  This is not a good idea.  It does not say to do that on WebMD.  


So, what I learned about hyper-extension.  Lay off of it for two to three weeks and you might be better.  So, what they were trying to tell me was don't do anything at all.  Sit around with your leg propped up.


Doing nothing.


Great.


At the very least this gives me some time to teach myself how to embroider more things.  I'll probably have gifts for everyone by next week.  If you put in your order now, you get a free bookmark with every purchase.  Operators are standing by.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Need to see some photos of the products if you're really going to move some merchandise. Just sayin'.

Becca said...

Photos coming soon...

Becca said...

bossy.