Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ron's Thoughts on Squirrels....(or Ron's Squirrely Thoughts)

So, on the way back from my Mom's birthday lunch at Copland's, my parents were discussing how there were a lot hickory nuts at our house this year. Last year, we didn't have a lot of nuts, but we had an abundance of squirrels. But, Mom found it interesting that we haven't had that many squirrels this year, but a lot of nuts. Dad came up with a theory; a theory about squirrels...and nuts.

Squirrels eat nuts. But, since there weren't a lot of nuts last year, the squirrel population has gone down. Perhaps the squirrels have moved elsewhere, somewhere where there are more nuts, or at least where they think there are more nuts (because we did have an abundance this year). And, since we didn't have that many nuts last year, perhaps the squirrels didn't have enough food to stay alive and have baby squirrels. So, that's why the squirrel population is down this year. Either they moved away or there actually are less of them.

...I think it went something like that.

1 comment:

Jen said...

When we had a bird feeder, a squirrel used to come and eat copiously of the sunflower seeds. The result was that every morning I was greeted by "squirrel butt" outside our kitchen window. I think it waited on purpose until I woke up, so that it could moon me.
Oddly enough, I still think squirrels are cute. Is there something wrong with me?