Thursday, November 10, 2005

A Tribute to an Old Friend

It's tough to know where to even start. This friend has not been in my life in quite sometime now and I miss him dearly, so I shall attempt to share my feelings with you about this good friend of mine.

Fredward.

I remember when you first went to live at Jeff, Dan, and Frank's apartment. We didn't even know what to call you. I mean, you were so young! I think I suggested Edward and Jeff suggested Fred, and with a bit of a switcheroo of the letters we get the delightful name that we call you today.

You always brightened up the room with you beautiful leaves, and you hung in there, too, because it was hard to live in such dark conditions. You must have enjoyed those video games as much as the other guys. Heck, you loved it so much you didn't even care about sunlight anymore.

But, slowly you started looking worse and worse, and we started to worry about you. You lost all your leaves. We thought you were dead for a long time, but we couldn't bare to part with you. So, in some slim chance that you were still alive, Jeff decided to put you out on the balcony. We don't know how you did it, but you hung in there. You're a fighter!

We noticed that you started growing some leaves out from the dirt. We were skeptical at first because we thought they may be weeds, but you were sure to inform us that they indeed were a part of you. I remember how overjoyed I was to hear that you were still alive. I had almost given up hope. I'm getting a bit teary-eyed thinking about it right now.

Oh, Fredward! If I only knew where you were now! I miss you and I love you.

Fredward, if this somehow comes your way, send me a message and let me know that your alright.

Who knew a person like me could grow so close to a ficus? Fredward the Ficus, what a lovely tree you were and are.

1 comment:

van Danne said...

Ah, you make me sad. I begin to regret ever baleting Fredward's remains. I seriously considered keeping what was left of him around for sentimental value, but was persuaded (quite rationally, if callously :-) otherwise. What a fighter. What a friend. There will always be a special place in my heart for you, Fredward.