Saturday, October 28, 2006

Most people don't believe elephants can tap dance

I'm good at starting stories. That's the easy part.

My foot was stuck and the train was coming fast...

You want to know what happens after that. At least, I do. But, the hard part is finishing the rest of the story and making it just as interesting as that first sentence. By no means do I declare myself a writer, but I was thinking as I was driving the other day that I would like to be able to write interesting stories. And, I came to the conclusion that I am a better introduction writer than anything else. This could be because of some of the books I had to read in high school and college that weren't very interesting to start. I think it may be the most important part of the book. The intro has to grab my attention or I don't want to read anymore of it. I understand this could be tragic because the rest of the book could be the best thing ever written, but 9 times out of 10 I wouldn't want to read it anyway.

Her pen hit the paper in anticipation of writing something magnanimous, ingenious, even Nobel Prize worthy. She began to write slowly and efficiently. "My name is Sarah Marie Lancaster and I am 5 years old." Brilliant.

3 comments:

katy said...

So you've just got to pair up with someone who is a good middle and end writer. Simple enough.

I feel your pain. I love to read and I wish I could write in a clever and engaging way. I guess everyone isn't meant to have every gift, but that sure would be fun -- to do absolutely everything well, I mean.

Why are we the only people bogging?

See. I knew you were cool.

Becca said...

i didn't know i was bogging...

katy said...

LOL

Yea. I couldn't think of a way to tell you without embarrassing you.

You're bogging... bad.