Friday, September 02, 2005

interesting day.

Class was normal. Working the desk from 3-5 was normal. Being forced to attend something that I believe to be vulgar and profane is not normal. Even 10 minutes of vulgarity isn't ok to me. I was told that I had to go see this performer at the Murphy Center today because it's one of the Week of Welcome Activities here on campus, and because I'm an RA I was required to go. I asked my boss if I had to go and he said yes. I asked again, this time saying that I didn't approve of the content of the show and didn't feel I should have to see it. He said yes again, this time saying that I only had to go to 10 minutes of it (I at least got it down from 30). Anger was setting in. I don't get angry, but when someone tells me to do something against what I believe, anger sets in. Torn between going and feeling ashamed of myself or not going and possibly losing my job, I came across a solution. I would physically enter the building and then exit. At this point I didn't care if it were 10 minutes or 10 seconds, at least I was going. When I got there I was asked to donate to the Red Cross to help those in New Orleans. Thankfully, I just gotten my check and gone to the bank, so I had money. I delivered the money to Red Cross and left feeling much better, and less out of breath, than when I got there.

I was due back at the Clubhouse for a poker game at 8:15, but I was hungry so I decided to grab a burrito. I think all of Greek Row was in Fresco Burrito Co. because it took me about 20 minutes to wait in line to get something to eat. I got back to the Clubhouse and the police were there. I don't know exactly what happened, but I decided to eat my burrito outside with three other girls that were out there that I knew.

We finally went inside and player poker, we had an open spot so we'd invite everyone that came in to play. One guy sat down with us. He'd never played before and he seemed really lonely. The other girl decided to leave and then the other guy that was playing had to do something, which left me and the invited-lonely-looking guy to talk. Interesting conversation. He lead most of it. Actually the people playing were an interesting array of people. There was me, a black girl, a man with a terminal disease, and a gay guy.

interesting day indeed.

1 comment:

Deidra said...

you get em tiger.. slap em with the good 'ol handbook if you gotta.